"JOHNS HOPKINS WILL BE GREAT RESEARCH CENTER"

WILL BE OF UTMOST SERVICE TO AMERICAN EDUCATION

"Johns Hopkins University, by its abolition of college work and the devotion of the university entirely to graduate study and research, will increase the prestige of the graduate school in American education," predicted Professor T. L. Lowes, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences yesterday. "I don't believe that any other university is as well fitted as Johns Hopkins for the following out of its proposed plan." Professor Lowes' statement followed that announcement that Johns Hopkins University will become a strictly graduate institution.

"Originally intended for a graduate college, Johns Hopkins reversed the process gone through by Harvard. It built the roof and then the rest of the house, for it attempted the college for undergraduates only after it had begun graduate work. In medical research it has long been preeminent and I believe that the research methods of the medical school will be extended to all fields of graduate study. For long the universities of the country have prepared men for research and have seen them for-sake that research for industry. Recent endowments of Johns Hokpins will enable it to maintain research work which is bound to be of the utmost service to Harvard and all other American universities.

"There seems to me a great deal of generalization in the proposal to abolish the first two years of college work. Just what studies fall within the last two years of college seems ill defined. Probably, however, candidates for admission who have completed a full two-years course at another college will be admitted."