WANTS HARVARD FREED FROM STATE CONTROL

COMMITTEE TO TAKE ACTION ON FEBRUARY 11

For the second time this year, the University will be the subject of legislative action in the Massachusetts Legislature when Representative A. F. Blanchard '04 presents the petition of V. N. H. Bates '19 recommending that the Legislature be stripped of its power to interfere with the government of the University.

This petition, drawn up by Mr. Bates, is aimed to prevent a recurrence of the attempted investigation of University affairs which happened last month when a petition charging that big business controlled the University was brought up before the Legislature. Mr. Blanchard's bill reads as follows: "Petition of V. N. H. Bates for a legislative amendment to the Constitution relative to the authority of the General Court to make alterations in the government of Harvard College." This petition is intended to bring about the annulment of Article 3, Chapter 5, of the Constitution which gives the Legislature the right to advise and assist in the government of the University. It was because of this clause that the former attempt to meddle with University affairs was made possible. When this article is annulled it will be impossible for the Legislature to take a hand in the business of the University.

To Be Discussed February 11

The bill will be brought up on February 11 before the Committee on Constitutional Law. This Committee must pass on the bill before it can be put before the Legislature itself. Should this Committee pass favorably on the proposal then it will go before a joint session of the House of Representatives and-the Senate, which is necessary to pass on an amendment.

Committee on Education May Sit

There is a chance that the verdict of the Committee on Constitutional Law will not be sufficient for the bill to go before the joint session. The Committee on Education also may have to pass on the bill before the Legislature can decide upon it. If this is necessary the Committee on Constitutional Law and the Committee on Education will probably sit in a joint session to consider Mr. 'Bates' proposed amendment.