FISHER WITHDRAWS NAME AS HARVARD HEAD COACH

Athletic Committee Accepts With Sorrow--Pays Tribute to Him as Man and Coach

R. T. Fisher '12 has definitely withdrawn his name from consideration as head coach of Harvard football next fall. This decision was reached some time ago by Mr. Fisher, but he was persuaded not to make it public until last night, when the Athletic Committee released Mr. Fisher's letter to Henry Pennypacker '88, chairman of the Athletic Committee, together with an announcement of the attitude of the committee. The Graduate Advisory Committee made no recommendations as to Mr. Fisher's successor.

Expresses "Keenest Regret"

Mr. Fisher explained his "keenest regret" at the "situation which arose in connection with my business necessitating a decision on my part to entirely sever my connection with Harvard football". He pointed out how much he disliked to have the "appearance of quitting in the fact of last year's defeats."

Mr. Fisher was urged by the Graduate Committee to reconsider his decision. However, he had already decided to leave next year and he thought he had no right to postpone the decision. The letter closes with an expression of gratitude to the men with whom he has worked. "It will always be one of the privileges of my life to have been these past six years the head coach of Harvard football."

The announcement made by the Athetic Committee last night follows:

Has Won Four Yale Games

"The Athletic Committee learned with distinct regret that Mr. Fisher cannot permit his name to be considered for appointment as Head Coach of the Harvard Football Team for the season of 1925. For the last six years Mr. Fisher's service has been marked by whole hearted cooperation in every way with the policies of the Committee. He has never been self-seeking in the least degree; but has warmly supported every suggestion looking to the effective training of his teams and the prudent economical administration of the football budget. Judged by results alone his success as a coach cannot be questioned if our victories in Yale games are to be the measure of that success; for in those six years his teams have won four such victories. His personal relations with the Committee have been marked by unvaried courtesy, modesty, and dignity, and he has in each of those six years deserved and received the warmest admiration and respect of the teams whose football instruction he has directed. The Committee desires to give this public expression of its grateful appreciation of his services to Harvard football, and to wish him in his retirement every possible good fortune.