OSBORNE TO SPEAK ON CRIMINALITY

Once Served Voluntary Term at Auburn in Search of Material--Authority on Crime and Criminals

Thomas Mott Osborne '84, well-known penologist and former warden of Sing Sing Prison will speak in Peabody Hall, Phillips Brooks House on February 11 at 8 o'clock on the subject of "Crime and Criminals." Mr. Osborne is coming to the University to speak under the aspires of the University Christian Association. The lecture will be open to all members of the University.

Mr. Osborne is well qualified to speak on subjects relating to crime and prisons. Since 1885 he has been prominent in public affairs in New York, being a candidate for the Lieutenant Governorship of New York and holding the office of mayor in Auburn, N. Y. from 1903 to 1905. He has also taken an active part in forest, fish, and game conservation holding the office of Forest, Fish, and Game Commissioner in 1911.

Served Voluntary Term

In 1913 he started on his prison reform carrier which has brought him so much face. In that year he was made charman of the New York Commission on Prison Reform which made several investigations of the state penitentiaries in order to improve the living conditions in them. To gain an expert idea of the real state of the convicts quarters and habits. Mr. Osborne spent a week in the prison at Anburn as a convict.

In, 1914 he was appointed warden of Sing Sing Prison which position he held until 1916. During the World War he served in the Navy as a subtenant Commander, From 1917 to 1920 he was stationed at Dartmouth, N. H. where he was commandant of the naval prison there.

Mr. Osborne is the author of many widely read books on prisons and prison reform. The best of his writing include "Within Prison Walls," "The Adventures of a Green Dragon," and "Society and Prisons."