REDUCTION OF ROTUNDA MEETS NO OPPOSITION

Project Practically Certain of Going Through--Substitute--Structure Would Cost $20,00

After many years of agitation, it is now practically certain that the Subway rotunda in the Square will be reduced in size. The Committee on Street Railways favored the bill to reduce it when it met yesterday morning in the State House, although no definite action was taken. No one opposed the idea of the project.

The bill was presented by Representative A. F. Blanchard '04 and proposed that the rotunda be made smaller to relieve the traffic congestion. If carried through Mr. Blanchard's bill would reduce the actual size of the structure, but the present features would be retained. The change would cost, approximately $20,000 half of which would be paid by the city while the State would pay the remaining half and be reimbursed later by rentals from the Boston Elevated Railway Company. Mayor Quoin announced yesterday that he strongly favored the proposed change.

At yesterday's meeting a large number of people appeared in favor of the change, none in opposition. Mr. R. C. Grovestein, appearing in behalf of the Harvard Square Business Men's Association favored changing the size of the rotund, but he wanted a structure different from Mr. Blanchard's in that it called for eliminating one of the two broad stairways.