RELAY TEAM HAS STIFF PROPOSITION TOMORROW

MIKKOLA TRIES NEW TRAINING METHODS

If the members of the Notre Dame relay team can run as well as they can play football, there should be stiff competition at the Knights of Columbus games at the Mechanics Building on Saturday night when they meet the University's short relay team. The race will be twelve laps, which is 1560 yards. McTiernan, Hamling, and Barr area three of the invading relay men. With Kane out of town, it is probable that the University's four runners will be Robb, Allen, Lundell, and Rogers. Miller will have a chance to compete with a fellow-backfield man when he goes to the mark in the 40-yard dash with Adam Walsh, captain of the great Notre Dame football team.

Captain Dunker will have his first opportunity to put the shot in this meet. In practice he has been throwing the 16-pound weight in the neighborhood of 40 feet. Since the Triangular meet with Dartmouth and Cornell and the Indoor Intercollegiates do not come until the end of February, Dunker has not rushed himself in getting into top form. Hallowell and Potter are also entered in the shot put.

Tibbetts is entered in the Mayor Curley invitation mile, a distance better suited to his stride than the half. The mile race is due to be fast since Lloyd Hahn, Leo Larives, and Ray Dodge are entered in it.

Haggerty should finish near the front of the handicap 600, provided the number of entries is not too great. When fifteen or twenty men try to run on a track eight feet wide with a turn every twenty-five yards, the men at scratch are faced not only with gaining distance but with fighting their way past greatly congested traffic.

Coach Mikkola has been trying unusual training methods on the men who will enter the two-mile, Ryan, Swede, and Gordon. He has sent them on five-mile walks over the cross-country course on days when the barometer is low in order to develop endurance.