SAYS COLLEGE RACE IS COMMITTING SUICIDE

Biologist Says 1000 Harvard Men Will Have Only 50 Descendants in Six Generations

"A thousand Harvard graduates at the present birth rate will be represented at the end of six generations by only 50 descendants--hardly' enough to make a good glee club," was the startling statement of Mr. A. E. Wiggam of New York City, a biologist and author who addressed the members of the National Civic Federation yesterday afternoon on the subject, "What is Civilisation Doing to Mankind?"

In making this statements Mr. Wiggam was attempting to show that American intelligence was declining rapidly. "The day laborer," he said, "can get married and begin rearing a family without regard for the future of the children when he is twenty years old. The lawyer, doctor, educator, preacher, and business man cannot afford to marry and have a home before has is thirty. We thus give stupidity a tel-year handicap over intelligence. Civilization makes the world safe for stupidity. If we give the stuped man a better chance to rear children and multiply his kind than we give the intelligent to multiply his kind then the intelligent will vanish.

"The American college graduate is a dying race. They are producing only two children per family. If America depends for its college students upon the descendants of the present graduates within a few generations our colleges will be empty. Either that or we will have to Lower the requirements for entrance. A thousand Harvard graduates at the present birth-rate will be represented at the end of six by only 50 descendants--hardly enough to make a good lee club. But at the present birth-rate 1000 of some of the lower sections of the population will be represented by 100,000 descendantal. Our recent immigrants, no difference that race or country they come from, largely belong to this class."