HAIRPINS AND PINHEADS

Conspicuous in the New York Times of yesterday is the startling announcement. "Traces of Hairpin and Button Factory, 2000 years old, found by Count de Prorok." Utica, the oldest Punic City in North Africa is the scene of the excavations, which disclosed more than a hundred hairpins and almost two dozen buttons. The explorers are working continuously, spurred on by the hope of finding a really ancient hairpin factory. This no doubt would be an achievement and the Count de Prorok could expect nothing less than immortality for his reward, while the faithful members of his little band could hold the folks back home spell-bound with the stirring tale of the adventure.

The discovery opens vast commercial possibilities, now that the fashions dictated by the regime of King Tut are on the decline. Think of the possibilities of genuine Punic buttons on Mi-lady's newest gown. Then, too, the discovery is not without historical value. One can now be practically certain that women did exist at the time of Salamnbz, and that the advent of the bob post-dated that era. The special cable to the New York Times stated that the "importance of such a discovery is evident." The most evident thing about it all is that if Count de Prorok wants to poke about in African sands for buttons and hairpins, it is utterly harmless.