STROKING THE WRONG WAY

It is an interesting side light on undergraduate indifference to note that the organizations of tife various clubs and societies to which they belong are usually effected without a whimper of protest. They smile pleasantly, say "aye" when they are told to do so: and each votes for the officers that the man next to him puts down. But if for one moment they suspect that someone is trying to force their hand, then chaos reigns and the little demagogues of Government I rise in wrath and howl defiance.

Take, for example, the formation of the Theatregoers' Club, which ended last week in blind confusion. During the first part of the meeting the embryonic society elected a president, approved a constitution, and accepted temporary by-laws with the usual meek docility. Then some fair hared disciple of the law, leaning on his lacquered cane, raised the awful cry: "unconstitutional"! After that all the king's horses and all the king's men could not have put through an election. Motions were made, seconded, passed, and shortly superceded. Articles were drawn up, amendments proposed, compromises suggested, and through it all ran an undercurrent of rhetorical abuse. Harvard indifference had flown to the winds and in its place reigned a thousand and one flecting memories of government lectures and courses in Parliamentary procedure. A principle was at stake that had to be defended, and defended it was in fifty-seven different ways, until a wise adjournment brought an end to the furor.

The backers of the Theatregoers' Club know now that the undergraduate mind must be soothed and not forced. Yesterday they held another meeting without fireworks or gun play. A soft spring breeze etherized the Faculty Room of the Union, there was no hint of unconstitutionalism. Harvard snoozed and smiled, voted and assented to the same names it had protested against last week. It was a victory of tact over pressure, common sense over legal foolishness. The undergraduate temper must not be trified with.