ENGLISH PACIFIST TO TALK ABOUT WAR

Successor to Jowett at Carrs Lane Church Reputed to Hold Extensive Pacifist Views

"Should a Christian go to war?" is to be the subject of the Reverend Leyton Richards' talk tonight under the auspices of the St. Paul's Society. The meeting will be held at 7.30 o'clock in the Peabody Hall of the Phillips Brooks House. Radcliffe students have been invited to attend and the meeting will be open to all those in the University who are interested.

Mr. Richards is at present on a lecture tour in the United States in the interest of international peace and good will. He is speaking officially under the auspices of the National Council for Prevention of War, but his own principles, which have won for him what is probably the most famous pulpit in England, that of Carrs Lane Church. Birmingham, have given him international repute as a pacifist.

Organizing Youth For Peaec

The presence of Mr. Richards in Boston is associated with the campaign being organized for the Fellowship of Youth for Peace. This organization, which was begun in 1923 at a convention at Indianapolis, is to be patterned after similar movement which have grown in Germany, England, Switzerland and Japan to be powerful units. It is expected that Mr. Richards will attempt to stimulate interest among Harvard students in the New England branch of the work.

A life of cosmopolitan experience has given Mr. Richards many of his extreme views on internationalism and pacifism. He spent part of his boyhood in Michigan and while he was an undergraduate at Oxford, he spent three of his long vacations as pastor at Richmond, Maine. Since he began active preaching, he has filled pastorates in Scotland and Australia, going after the war was over to his present position at Birmingham. The Carrs Lane church has an enviable reputation in England as a center of intellectual interest. Jowett, the famous Oxford philosopher, having been the pastor for many years.

Fosdick Pays Him Tribute

His talk at the Liberal Club on Tuesday was one of a series of talks he is giving at the leading universities of the East in the course of his three month tour of the United States. Dr. Harry Emerson Fosdick, the prominent Modernist who talked at the Phillips Brooks House earlier this year, has said of Mr. Richards that "he represents a large area of the best informed and most Christian public opinion of his nation."