Band of Cambridge Gangsters Pursues Him, Declares Herr Engel in Appeal to Law and Order to Foil Their Plots

By "alexander Engel."

Laying the blame for the resent assault on him in Charles' Lunch to a band of gangsters headed by an archbully, Herr Engel in a letter to the CRIMSON appeals to the forces of law and order to stop the plot before it is carried out. In an unpublishable appendix to the letter, Herr Engel supports his case with an account of the gang's conversation which contains, among other things, the challenge to Herr Engel, which led up to the assault.

The letter in full reads as follows:

"To the Editor and the Fellows of the CRIMSON:

"Gentlemen--You certainly have unequalled ability in reporting and writing up. I wish to say, however, that a feud, as I know it from my experience in Kentucky, is carried on by both sides.

"This fight thrust upon me is a plot of gangsters who are hired by a crafty bully of a leader who pays their meal checks and poets them at the door, and like yeggs they will come to the assistance of their leader when he has been floored. Conveniently appearing as helpers and then as peacemakers does not change the fact that the fight lasted twenty minutes. The gang blocked business; they did not pay and they got their instructions three times from the bully. Rum, Riot and Rebellion come nearer, but Anarchy and Chaos, Conspiracy are the words which apply to a state of murder, of robbery, and of thugs.

"If the police cannot arrest the drunken thug, if they will not stop the plot before it is carried out, we had better form vigilance bodies and save the expense of the whole police machinery. Three times in a public place (restaurants) attacked and abused by vile language is making a rendezvous for crime, when I hear the arch-bully exclaim that no one would dare to report him to the police, but myself (Engel). Yes, I am different and I have repeatedly proven it. I do report a bully. I smash his head in defense of myself and if he is a desperado or a madman, I shall kill him without the slightest remorse. Most cordially yours.