Eliot Spends Ninety-First Birthday Quietly at Home

Has Had Deepest Influence on American Education -- Was Offered Diplomatic Honor

Today will be like every other day for President Emeritus Charles W. Eliot when he celebrates his ninety-first birthday. Last night his secretary stated that President Eliot would spend the day quietly at home receiving callers.

Still in as good health as he was last year when he received the tributes of University alumni and undergraduates, and of those most prominent in the public life of the nation, President Eliot continues his interest in all matters concerning Harvard and America. His recent address on Zionism created widespread discussion throughout the country. Several weeks ago he spoke at the first of the "Religion and Law" lectures before a large group of undergraduates and members of the Law School on "The Universal Motive Is Religious."

Was Offered English Ambassadorship

This diversity of interests has always been characteristic of President Eliot. Among the many fields of activity on which he has given constructive criticism are secondary and industrial education, municipal government, and international relations. In 1909, on his resignation from the presidency of the University, he was offered the post of Ambassador at the Court of St. James, the highest diplomatic honor which the President of the United States can confer, but he declined on account of his advanced years.

Dean L. B. R. Briggs '75, over 16 years ago pointed out in the Alumni Bulletin his interest in world affairs. He said, "In his administration, it has not been Charles Eliot, or even Harvard University that he places first, but the welfare of the country, and of the world above all else."

Raised Level of Graduate Schools

President Eliot's accomplishments during his 40-year administration, which was the longest in the history of the University, are well known. He raised the academic standards of the graduate schools in the University from a level lower than that of the college, to a level higher than that of the college; he established the necessity of examinations for admission to college, he greatly widened and strengthened the elective system; and almost 40 years ago he abolished compulsory chapel.

In 1909 the late Woedrow Wilson, speaking of President Eliot's resignation, gave him a tribute which still remains true. He said, "No man has ever made a deeper impression upon the educational system of a country than President Eliot has upon the educational system of America."