NEW GAME FOR FOOTBALL MEN GETS FIRST TRYOUT

LUMBERING BACKS AND LIFELESS LINEMEN TABOO SAYS FISHER

The new game for football men devised by Major Fred W. Moore '93 received its baptism of fire at Soldiers Field yesterday when the backs and ends of the University squad reported for the first time, it was reported as entirely successful except for the fact that after a strenuous afternoon of play the contest was ended without a goal having been scored.

Not as Easy As it Looks

It appeared at once that it was a far more difficult task to hurl a football through an 18-inch aperture from a distance of 20 feet than the originator of the game had anticipated. Last night it was suggested that it might be necessary either to lessen the safety zone to a shorter distance than 20 feet or else increase the size of the holes.

The two goals, strips of canvas extending from one goal post to the other, with three holes in each, were under a continual bombardment, but each attempt was either bated down by he goal guardian or went wide of the mark.

Though scores were lacking, the game proved as beneficial as had been anticipated from the point of view of an aid in the conditioning process. Personal contact seemed to find more of a place in the play yesterday than had been intended by Major Moore and K. J. Kelly, who drew up the rules.

Conditioning is Main Purpose

Captain M. A. Cheek '26 is in full charge of the practice at present. The main purpose of the preliminary work is to get the squad into first class physical condition by the time formal practice under Coach Fisher starts on April 27. In addition to the still unnamed game of Major Moore's invention, the practice at present will consist of kicking drill.

The feature which Coach Fisher intends to emphasize above all in his regular spring practice is speed. In anticipation of this, almost half of the squad has been assigned daily running. These men who have been taken both from the remaining members of the 1924 University team and form last fall's Freshman squad, have been placed under the supervision of Coach Farrell of the Track team for special tutelage. "No more Jumbering backs or lifeless linemen" is Coach Fisher's avowed motto for this 1925 team.