GRASS GREEN MYSTERY BOAT APPEARS ON RIVER

BRIGHT WEATHER BRINGS CREWS LONG RIVER JAUNT

The mystery which has surrounded Newell boathouse all winter regarding the details of the new boat under construction by the veteran boat-builder, W. E. Lutz, was dissipated yesterday when the new shell was given its initial trial on the Charles by the first University eight. To a casual observer, the only difference between the new boat and the Pocock shell seemed to be one of color, the latest addition to the University equipment being painted a bright grass green.

Coach Stevens expressed satisfaction with the result of the brief trial spin yesterday afternoon. With the exception of seat four, the rigging was too low for all the oarsmen in the new boat and it was too high for Gates at seat four. There is still considerable work to be done on the new boat, and it is not likely that it will be launched again before another week or ten days.

All Crews Take Long Rows

Favorable weather conditions yesterday caused all the coaches to order long rows for their respective crews, the majority of the shells heading in the direction of the basin. Both the Second and Third University eights accompanied Crew X in its spin in the new shell. There has been no change in the seating order of men in these boats since the promotion of Darlington to the first boat on March 9.

The Freshman crews had their first long workout since they were classified, when they rowed 15 miles yesterday afternoon.