CUMINGS IS CHOSEN LEADER OF STICKMEN

Entire First Line, Beals, Hodder, Curtin, With Chase Graduate, but Dempsey Leaves Undefeated Squad.

Thayer Cumings '26, who has been the regular goal-guard on the University hockey team during the past two years, was elected captain of the 1926 Crimson sextet at a meeting of the letter men yesterday afternoon. Cumings lives in New York City, and prepared for Harvard at St. Mark's School. H. B. Gardner '13 was the only other goalie who has ever been elected to the captaincy of a Harvard sextet during 30 years of hockey history.

Outplayed Only by Jenkins

Cumings' performance in the cage during the past season was one of the bright features in a season marred only by a 1 to 0 defeat at the hands of the Yale skaters in the rubber game of the H-Y series. In this contest, the lone goal came after 87 minutes of strenuous play, during which Cumings stemmed a Blue rush time and again with brilliant stops. Only the remarkable play of Captain Jenkins prevented Cumings being acclaimed the "best" of the college goalies, and with another year of competition, he should succeed to the laurels heaped upon the Yale leader during the past season.

Undiscovered Freshman Year

Since he has become eligible for University competition, Cumings has participated in every contest against Yale, and played every period of the five games except one. At the beginning of the final period in the second contest with the Elis last year, Newell replaced him. Although Cumings has acquitted himself so creditably as cage guardian during the past two years, his potential ability remained undiscovered throughout his Freshman year, as he was cut from the 1926 first squad before the game with the Yale first-year skaters.

Prominent in Pudding Show

Cumings is taking a very active part in the forthcoming production of the Hasty Pudding Club, "Laugh It Off". Besides writing some of the music, he is playing the violin in the club orchestra.

Prospects for a successful season on the ice next year are unusually bright, although the entire first string forward line of Beals, Hodder, and Austin graduate, together with Chase, strongest of the Crimson defense players. Coach Bigelow will have a nucleus of 10 letter men among the returning players around which he will build next year's team. In addition, Coach Dempsey will turn over another undefeated Freshman sextet eligible for its first year of University play.