RELIGION COURSE MEETS PRAISE AND PROTESTS

MOORE PROMISES SYMPATHETIC CONSIDERATION OF MEASURE

Both, praise and criticism have greeted the proposal of the Phillips Brooks House Association that a general course in religion be included in the University curriculum. Undergraduate sources have been generally in favor of the proposal, while among the faculty opinions vary.

Fears Controversial Fields

Dean W. L. Sperry of the Harvard Theological School, when interviewed, by a CRIMSON reporter on the subject of the proposed course, stated that he would favor such a course only on the condition that it be restricted to a historical treatment of the subject. "I would not recommend a general course in religion, added Dean Sperry. "If it proposed in any way to touch upon the philosophy were brought on the instructor would be in danger of getting into controversial fields which might easily lead to some misunderstanding."

W. A. Shimer 3G. to who goes most of the credit for the idea of the course, stated that he had every intention of including the subjects of philosophy and the relation of religion to everyday life in his proposed course. "The introduction of such subjects would do far more good than harm." was Mr. Shimer's opinion.

Professor C. H. Moore '89, chairman of the Committee on Instruction, was sure that the proposal would receive the most sympathetic consideration on the part of the committee "OF course. I can make no official statement as to the probable action of the committee on this subject," was Professor Moore's reply to a CRIMSON reporter's interview.