Lane Defends University's Euphemisms--Says Large Plant Needs High-Sounding Names--"Press Agent" Would Never Do

"Grant a University as magnificent as this its euphemisms", said Mr. W. C. Lane, Librarian of Widener, yesterday. "What if the Bursar is said to be sitting in his Counting House counting out his rents? That is not too fine for the University.

"I can scarcely realize it, but Harvard is a great city now. Why, twenty years ago, if I wanted my front porch repaired, I called the Superintendant of Buildings. He sent a carpenter. The other day he said that properly the new fixtures for my house weren't under his jurisdiction. Someone else must handle that.

"But I think we can afford to permit ourselves a few feathers. Why shouldn't the Superintendent of Caretakers wear that title? I've no doubt that his predecessor, the Head Janitor he was called, spent a good deal of time trying to improve his authority weakened as it was by such a name. After all, the 'goody' is, nominally, a caretaker.

"The University, which could once afford or keep busy no more than one Secretary, now employs several, which is simply in line with the general growth. Perhaps 'Secretary to the University for Information' is a euphemism, as much as any of the other indulgences Harvard permits herself. But no one is fooled by such a name, for a press agent. And the position which it inaccurately portrays is highly important."