HARVARD PHILOSOPHY

Tucked away among the marriage and obituary notices of the New York Times was the headline: "Professor James Ward, Philosopher, Dies." It is apparently that epithet "philosopher" that has rewarded him with even those three inches of the Times' valuable space. Certainly it is doubtful if the editors would otherwise have noticed the passing of the author of "The Realm of Ends".

If philosophers are rare in these materialistic days, it is no less true that philosophy is something at which to shy--and avoid, if possible, in mapping out college courses. In a time of intense practical activity it is observed that thought and theory fail to keep pace with the trend of events; but if history has showed this tendency in the past, that fact is no argument against an attempt to formulate a philosophy for the present. For even such practical social programs as those presented by Socialists, Liberals, and Conservatives there is but a feeble attempt at a crystallization of underlying ideas.

Even in this University which prides itself on its "indifference" and its liberalism it may be doubted if more than a few have clear in their minds a definite philosophy of liberalism. Hobhouse declares that it is the belief that society can be based on the power of self-directed personality; others apparently define it as a certain openness of mind. Whatever the fundamental idea which the individual student may evolve for himself, it does seem important that some such formulation take place. Otherwise, step by step reaction may creep in. A university is obviously a place for speculative thought, and if the American rush towards materialism is to be counterbalanced by some philosophical thought, this University and others must begin to assume their proper sphere of duty.