I Protest

THE MAIL--

The Harvard Crimson assumes no responsibility for the sentiments expressed by correspondents, and reserves the right to exclude any communication whose publication may for any reason seem undesirable. Except by special arrangement, communications cannot be published anonymously.

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Gratifying as it is to notice a thorough-going reaction on the part of the student body at Harvard University as regards Professor Baker's resignation and all that this meant for Harvard as a seat of learning and culture, it is more than disheartening to learn that Harvard's President in his several addresses at the alumni clubs of the University has tried to justify and defend the attitude of the Board of Trustees toward the same question; on what grounds, for what reason?--simply because a theatre for young playwrights and authors would be a useless fixture to the University, while a Business School would be an income bringing and prestige carrying annex.

Everyone who is used to reading between the lines has not failed to infer this implication from the anaemic statements of President Lowell's addresses as reported in the CRIMSON.

I am not surprised to find out where the President of Harvard stands on this crucial point of policy and philosophy:--culture is to be sacrificed to business.

But inasmuch as I do care about Harvard for its traditions of culture and intellectual valor and do detest its tendency for cultivating cheer leaders and cheering mobs; inasmuch as I do discern in the attitude of its President an ignominious desertion of the best ideals of the humanities for the "ideals" of big business; and inasmuch as I do consider such an attitude and philosophy as an effrontery to culture, not only in this continent, but in all continents, I protest and ask that my protest be filed. A. Phillipoff '23.