UNIVERSITY MAY INVEST IN NEW GOLF COURSE

PLAN WOULD LET STUDENTS PLAY BY PAYING DAILY FEE

That the Athletic Association of the University may invest in a new golf course, which may be used, by the members of the Golf team and the undergraduates, was revealed yesterday by Major Fred W. Moore of the H. A. A. Definite arrangements have not been made but a plan to buy shares in the new course has been put before the Finance Committee and, if approved, will be taken up by the University Corporation.

The new course is being promoted by several prominent business men of Boston. They have purchased a considerable tract of land, including Weld estate, on the line between Brookline and West Roxbury, on which an 18-hole course has been laid out. Approximately $350,000 have been invested. The stock holders plan to sell shares in the club which will carry with them the privileges of the course and thus avoid the exorbitant initiation fees and annual dues of the ordinary country club.

Both the Harvard Club of Boston and the Athletic Association have been urged to join the scheme as a body. If the University invests, a certain number of shares will be devoted to obtaining guest privileges for the undergraduates which may be enjoyed on the payment of a daily fee. In this way men who play fairly seldom will be freed from the necessity of joining the club, and will have a golf course more accessible than any of those, which now surround Cambridge.