HARVARD HAS PART IN CONCORD REUNION

Buttrick Will Play Grandsire's Role--President and Fellows Invited to Join Parade to Concord

The one hundred and fiftieth anniversary celebration of the battle of Lexington and Concord which will be the gala event of the year in the town of Concord on April 20 will be participated in by many prominent members of the University. The names of Harvard men and indeed of the University itself are intimately connected with the memory of that year 1775 which is being feted.

President Lowell and the Fellows of the College have been invited to ride in the parade which will start at the Larz Anderson Bridge in the afternoon, and it is probable that they will accept the invitation and attend in a body. The majority of the men who are in charge of the day's program and who will speak at Concord are University graduates. Allen French '94 is the head of the committee in charge and among the prominent speakers are B. L. Young '07 and Robert Frost '99, noted poet.

Another member of the University who will figure in the day's proceedings is J. B. Buttrick '28, of Concord. Buttrick is the direct descendant of the Major John Buttrick who led the attack of the minute men across the Concord bridge during the defense of the town by the revolutionary army. Part of the program will be a sham battle in which he will take the part of his famous ancestor and reenact the historic contest.

The history of Concord for the year 1775 could not but be intimately connected with that of the University in so far as the College was actually located in the town throughout that year. Due to the requisition of the College buildings in Cambridge for the purpose of barracking soldiers, the whole establishment was moved to Concord and the regular college year begun on October 4. About 100 students attended that year and all readjourned to Cambridge for class day exercises in June.

It was during this year in Concord that George Washington was awarded his honorary degree of Doctor of Laws. In the graduating class, also, was Christopher Gore for whom the present Gore Hall was named. It was a memorable year for the University, and when it readjourned it left for the mayor of Concord the following note: "We hope that you will readily forgive any errors which may be attributed to the inadvertance of youth.