ADDED REPUTATION

The passing of Professor Baker and Dean Briggs has brought about a feeling among some that Harvard's English Department was on the wane. Such men as Professors Kittredge. Lowes, and Perry, to mention only a very few must have been overlooked in the lamentation over the crackling and crumbling of Harvard's great reputation. Those loubters can scarcely fail to realize that with the conling, of Professor Tatlock their criticism will lose its force: and those who have believed consistently in the department will feel with pleasure that it is to be even greater than before.

Professor Tatlock enters Harvard as a recognized authority. He will not only take over a course of Professor Baker's in the history of the drama, but will be an added force in the study of English literature from Chaucer to Shakespeare. One can only hope that Professor Tatlock will find the atmosphere of Harvard a congenial inspiration to his ambition. He will be met with full courtesy and deep enthusiasm, for his proved ability will help to sustain the intellectual preminence of Harvard.