LOST GLORY

Von Hindenburg has become a forgotten myth, since he has entered the political field. The staunchest of Germany's militarists, the victor of Tannenberg and a hundred lesser battles, remains no longer silent and aloof among the great field-marshalls of Germany. Today he is be-leaguered by the political pack which helps and snarls at his heels.

Not so many years ago the famous wooden statue of Hindenburg was erected in Berlin, and nails by thousands were driven into it in sign of devotion. His lowering figure, his chop whiskers, and his massive jowels were known in every nation of the globe, hated, honored, or feared. To half the world he was the epitome of German militarism. The end of the war apparently had sealed his fame for unlike many of the opponent generals, he vanished swiftly into a fierce and definite retirement. There was neither reason nor opportunity for toppling him from his iron pedestal, and so Germany still honored him.

Probably he would have continued enthroned in the German mind, had not party ambition betrayed him to his enemies. He is no longer the symbol of a lost cause, but a grey-headed politician, and the reverence that he once commanded lies turned to scorn. Charlatan or genius, fool or master, he and his glorious reputation will be dragged in the mire of politics.