LAWSUIT ON SUPPRESSION ISSUE LOOMS AS LAW PROFESSORS ADVISE LAMPOON TO FIGHT

The wave of indignation which has followed the suppression of the Lampoon by the Cambridge police has affected not only students of the University but also many members of the Faculty.

Statements from attorneys of national fame, from military authorities, and from organizations such as the Liberal Club, combine in emphatic protest against the action.

The possibility of a protest carried into the courts by the Lampoon grows increasingly probable with the flood of legal advice which has been given on the subject. Believing that the points in question in the recent issue of the Lampoon do not warrant such drastic action on the part of the police, the editors will hold a meeting today at which a decision will be reached about bringing forward a lawsuit.

The following statements are indicative of the sentiments held around the University.

When questioned as to his view of the police action, Professor Felix Frankfurter, Byrne Professor of Administrative Law, spoke as follows in protest against the recent suppression:

"It is the old story of police interference where the police have no right to interfere. Pretending to be patriotic and vigilant, the authorities merely have shown themselves to be ridiculous and meddlesome. The play of the human spirit and freedom of thought, even of foolish thought, cannot be left in the hands of those whose only business it is to protect life and property and maintain order. The human mind is not meant for the safe-keeping of the police.

"I cannot believe that the Lampoon will not contest this action of the police authorities in the courts."

Professor Zechariah Chafee made the following statement, pointing out the futility of the police action:

"I think it is absurd to suppress caricatures of well known pictures.

"I do not see any reason for suppressing the magazine for the cover, if the flag appears in the original. The picture on the inside is no more indecent than the original painting, by Manet, which has doubtless been frequently reproduced without objection. It would be well worth while to get a counsel and fight the matter out."

No action is to be taken on the part of the University authorities in connection with the suppression, for the present at least. The statement reads, "No action is now contemplated, inasmuch as the matter has not been brought officially to the notice of the University authorities."