WHYS AND WHEREFORES

The Student Friendship Drive finds itself this morning undersubscribed by $3,000. This is not a comment on the meanness of the college, but a protest at the way the drive has been run this year. Outside of a few brief articles in the CRIMSON, only one of which was explanatory, no attempt has been made to describe the nature and the reason for the drive. The collectors themselves seem quite ignorant of its whys and wherefores, apparently having received no adequate information from the man in charge. Throughout the college there is only the vague understanding that money is needed for something or other, that a new drive is on.

Under such management this drive has met with more success than it nominally deserves. Harvard has contributed a thousand dollars on faith and the memory of last year's efficient drive. This is not an attempt to belittle the cause of Student Friendship, for it is a very fine one indeed. Any attempt to help needy students, no matter where they are, should be met with approbation, not criticism. Once its cause is carefully explained and well understood, one may feel confident that Harvard will not be slow to subscribe its full quota.