In The Graduate Schools

System in Vogue at Theological School Attracts Self-Reliant Students

The new plan for assigning scholarships put into effect at the Theological School gives every promise of success for the future, said Dean Willard I Sperry in his recent report on the School. It is designed, said Dean Sperry, to make the scholarship grant & recognition of academic excellence. To accomplish this and "to escape from the suspicion of giving Indiscriminate financial aid to students, so often and so justly charged against theological seminaries, this School has greatly reduced its number of announced school airships, and with the cooperation of parishes in the vicinity has instituted a Compensated Church Work plan, by which students who need opportunities for self-help may receive from $500 to $600 for services rendered in the churches.

"This system, by a selective process, will normally attract the more self respecting and self-reliant type of student. It has the added advantage of giving the student field work under wise supervision and of bringing the School into closer touch with the churches of the neighborhood, which are its natural constituency. Members of the entering class are received on this basis and immediately assigned, if they wish financial aid, to church positions.

"This plan went into operation in September, 1923, and its first year promises well for the future. Churches are expected to share in the compensation paid to the student, and normally the amount: paid the student is divided equally between the School and the Church. The School has available about $16,000 of scholarship money, from four different sources. Corporation Scholarships. Andover Scholar ships. Hopkins Shares, and the Williams Fund. In previous years this amount has been spent in full, and during 1922-23 was overdrawn. Last year there was an unexpended balance of $2,800 standing to the credit of these funds, which reverts to the principal. The new plan will, therefore, greatly extend the effectiveness of our resources for this purpose.