BASEBALL PLAYERS BOW BEFORE DARTMOUTH NINE

SPALDING AND EDWARDS KEEP HITS WELL SCATTERED

For the second time this year, the University baseball team went into the last half of the ninth inning enjoying a one-run lead Saturday against Dartmouth, only to have the home team push two runs across the plate and snatch the decision. Against Columbia on April 25, a one-run advantage in the final stanza proved insufficient, and on Saturday a double by Bjorkman in the ninth inning with two on bases enabled the Green to win once again.

Bjorkman Wins Game

Bjorkman, captain of both the football and baseball teams at the Hanover institution, once more proved a prominent factor in the series of Dartmouth triumphs over the Crimson. With two out, and with two on base, Bjorkman let two strikes sail by. Then picking a curve ball which broke fairly over the plate, he pushed a fast ground ball down the third base line outside Zarakov. The ball took a bad hop past Todd in the outfield, and before the Crimson outfielder could retrieve the ball. Harris had scored from first with the winning tally for Coach Tesreau's outfit, effectually breaking up the game.

Harvard Near Victory

Dartmouth was put in a position to score in the ninth when Owl, Indian second sacker, reached first base when Ullman booted a ground ball. Hudgins advanced Owl with a perfect bunt, which only excellent fielding by Spalding prevented from becoming a safety. Elliot lifted a long fly to Rogers in center field for the second out, and the stage was set for Bjorkman's sensational drive.

Harvard scored three runs in the second inning when Hammond walked. Maher was hit by the pitcher, and Howard, Spalding and Zarakov singled. Edwards tightened at this point, and struck out Ellison and Todd to retire the side

Although touched for eleven hits. Spalding kept them well scattered. In only two innings did the Green batters succeed in bunching their hits, and in only one of these innings were bunched hits run producing. In the sixth stan- za, a single by Harris and a home run by Bjorkman enabled Dartmouth to tie the score.

Edwards, ace of Coach Tesreau's pitching staff, was on the mound for the home team, and although he was a bit wild with men on bases, he was especially effective when no Crimson score was imminent. He struck out 13 batters, until he was relieved for a pinch hitter in the eighth inning