FORTUNE SMILES

It has been so long since a University shell has sped first across the finish line that Saturday's victory brings with it unusual sweetness. Taken together with the very commendable results obtained by the Freshmen and junior University crews, it seems to inaugurate a real renaissance of Harvard rowing Crimson oarsmen no longer need to acknowledge their sport apologetically.

It for no other reason than that Saturday's results justify the present consistent rowing policy they will meet with general rowing policy they will meet with general acclaim. In crew, as in all other sports, coaches and players must be given a fair chance. Coach Stevens was the first of a considerable list to be given such a chance whole heartedly; and he has justified that new attitude.

The psychology of rowing is perhaps more difficult than that of any other sport. Confidence adds many lengths to a crew's speed. The present policies of the athletic authorities combined with the leadership of the present coaching personnel has instilled this much needed confidence; and speed has been the result. On the basis of a sound rowing technique and a sound rowing psychology Harvard's hopes for victory on the Thames in June may be built high.