HOTEL PROSPECT VANISHES WHEN STILLMAN BUYS SITE

Stillman Announces That Future of Property Will Depend on University Authorities

In order that a ten-story hotel may not arise in the midst of the Mount Auburn Street club and dormitory district, Mr. C. C. Stillman '98 has bought the property on the corner of Holyoke and Mount Auburn Streets where the proposed Roosevelt Hotel was planned.

Mr. Stillman has purchased the plot in the name of Moodna Farms, Inc., of which he is President. This is the same interest which recently acquired Beck Hall when it was threatened with demolition.

Plot Sold in January

The hotel site was formerly occupied by St. Paul's Catholic Church. On January 30 of this year, while the old wooden structure was being torn down, it was announced that E. N. Wyner '16 had bought the plot for the purpose of erecting a large hotel.

Immediately a storm of protest arose from all quarters. Prominent alumni urged the University to acquire the property to prevent the district from being marred. Publication by the CRIMSON of the University's plans for future expansion showed that such a building would bring to nought the scheme for widening Holyoke Street into an avenue connecting the Yard with the "New Yard" of which the Freshman Dormitories are the nucleus.

Whole Affair May Be Hoax

Then for months the matter was dropped. Although Mr. Wyner had announced on February 6 that his plans were nearly complete for immediate construction nothing more was done. Many people began to feel that the whole affair was a clever hoax to force the President and Fellows to buy the property at a large price. Meanwhile architects in Boston were working and reworking at their plans for the hotel.

Mr. Wyner also owned the property of the old St. Paul's Rectory at the corner of Holyoke Street and Holyoke Place, which stands in the way of one of the proposed dormitories in the "New Yard". This site has also been acquired by the Moodna Farms Corporation.

Mr. Stillman announced last night that the newly acquired property would remain in hands friendly to Harvard. He will consult the University authorities before deciding what will be done in the way of development.

The sale was handled by Stephen W. Sleeper '97 and John W. Dunlop '97, acting as Mr. Stillman's representatives and agents.