TRACK ATHLETES HAVE AUSPICIOUS OPENING

WATTERS, CHEEK, JONES BREAK 880, JAVELIN, HIGH JUMP MARKS

Thirteen first places in 15 events for the University team and 11 in 14 events for the Freshmen in the meet against M. I. T. Saturday afternoon made this year's track opener the most auspicious one for the Crimson since the war.

The score of 186 9-10 for Harvard to 56 1-10 for M. I. T. is no reflection on the weakness of the Engineers but rather a testimony of the Crimson's power. For Captain Dunker's team was forced to break the half-mile, javelin, and high jump dual meet records and turn in noteworthy results in nearly every event in order to pile up such a score.

Watters Noses Out Leness

The greatest individual feat of the contest was the half-mile run between Watters of Harvard and Leness, famed Tech mid-distance man. Those, who witnessed the race will not soon forget the astonishing pace the palr set up from the crack of the pistol. Physically both men appeared in excellent shape, but as in all athletic competition physical condition is not all that counts. Undoubtedly Watters ran a more heady race than Leness and consequently he broke the worsted two yards in the lead. The Crimson half-miler took advantage of the Engineer's broad back to shelter him from a tiring wind until the home stretch, when he raced ahead with sufficient energy stored up to keep the lead until the finish.

The short sprint went to Peck of Harvard after Miller had been withdrawn by Coach Farrell. By winning from a good field including Lundell and Chase, Crimson men, and Copley. Peck proved himself a runner of more than medicre ability.

Cheek Breaks Javelin Record

By lengthening the javelin distance over two feet, the football captain. Cheek, surprised the dopesters who figured he had been spending all his time at spring football practice. Dorman, Schlaikjer, and Chase also scored in this event, with an M. I. T. spear thrower trailing in fifth place.

In the high jump, Jones bettered the record made by Krogness of Harvard in 1919. The new height is 5ft 10 1-2in. Sanford of Tech won the pole vault as was expected, equalling the old record of 11ft, 6in.

The mile and two mile affairs were won by Haggerty and Tibbetts respectively with case. In the middle distances Allen distinguished himself by a win in the 400 and a second in the 220, in which he was nosed out by Landell Kane came within an ace of victory in the 400.