W. J. BRYAN MAKES SPEECHES AT UNION AND P. B. H. TODAY

"Peerless Leader" Was Candidate for Presidency Three Times--Is an Authority on Fundamentalism

William Jennings Bryan, thrice candidate for the Presidency of the United. States and leader of the Fundamentalists in their war against the Theory of Evolution, will visit the University today.

He will speak on each of the two chief causes to which he has devoted his energies. At a luncheon in the Union at 1.15 o'clock he will talk on "The Future of the Democracy" and in Peabody Hall, Phillips Brooks House at 8.15 that evening he will give an address on "Evolution". Tickets for both meetings have already been completely sold out.

Has Had Active Career

Mr. Bryan has had an unusually active and stormy career. After only two terms as member of Congress he was nominated in the 1896 Democratic Convention for President. Like the late Theodore Roosvelt, Mr. Bryan raised a regiment of volunteers to serve in the Spanish War, and took the part of colonel. After being twice again nominated by his party he threw all his influence to Woodrow Wilson in the 1912 convention, securing the nomination of the latter over "Champ" Clark. As a reward for this service the "Great Commoner" was given the post of Secretary of State in Wilson's cabinet where he served for three years.

After concluding a large number of treaties with foreign powers providing for investigation and arbitration of disputes he saw his work destroyed by the World War. When the "Lusitania" sank Mr. Bryan, who is a pronounced pacifist, resigned because the President's protest to Germany was too warlike. Since then his political activities have not been so extensive though his brother Charles W. Bryan was nominated for the Vice Presidency last year largely through his efforts.

Is Prominent Fundamentalist

In the course of the last few years Mr. Bryan has thrown himself into the great Church struggle between the Fundamentalists and Modernists. In the newspapers and magazines, in church assemblies, in speeches, and in the books "The Menace of Darwinism", "The Bible and Its Enemies", and "In His Image", he has defended the theory of the descent of man as portrayed in the Old Testament and attacked the Theory of Evolution.