CORPORATION MAY BUY COLONIAL CLUB SITE

UNIVERSITY WOULD GIVE LEASE IN EXCHANGE FOR DEED

That the University may purchase the property and building now belonging to the Colonial Club was made known by the officers of the club last night. The club grounds, situated on Quincy Street, have long been desired by the University and a definite offer has now been made for its acquisition.

The object of the University offer It has been emphasized, is not to discontinue the Colonial Club but to assure the ownership of the land which is almost completely surrounded by college property. It is possible that sometime in the future the yard may be expanded beyond its present limits and the corporation wishes to make sure that there will be no complications with outside landholders.

Will Lease Property to Club

A special meeting of the club members will be held on Saturday, May 23, to make a decision on the offer. The original proposition was made by the President and fellows of the college at the club's annual, meeting on April 25 and since that time the matter has been under consideration. The offer was to buy the property and then lease it back to the club for a period of ten years with an option for another ten years if it is desired as an evidence of the University's good will.

It was decided at the regular meeting of the club to appoint a committee of members to settle the matter with the corporation which will consist of George H. Cox '05, William G. Wright. Philip R. Ammidon '05, Arthur E. Beane '03 and Charles M. White. The committee will make its report at the May 23 meeting and at that time a decision will be reached. At present the members of the club refuse to make any statement as to how they regard the offer.