WHAT PRICE SILVER BAY?

The quiet and dignified announcement of the forthcoming Silver Bay conference is one which does great credit to the Phillips Brooks House. The fanfare with which the campaign for delegates is being carried on in many colleges, and has been carried on at Harvard in other years, seems quite out of keeping with the professed spirit of the conference.

Prettily illustrated posters, alluring circulars and the honeyed words of professional conference promoters have done much to represent Silver Bay as a glorified summer resort rather than a meeting ground for those who wish to discuss the present-day problems of Christianity.

Perhaps this picture was a just one several years ago, when the delegates from preparatory schools, men's, and women's colleges convened together, and the chief attractions for college men were the opportunities for mild summer flirtations and proselyting among sub-freshmen.

But now, with the separation of these three groups into separate conferences, the lure of Silver Bay for the college propagandist and the student cavalier should have vanished. It remains a place for the sober discussion of religion by those who are earnestly interested in such a subject. Those who are interested, will attend. But there should be no attempt to shanghai others into attendance.