A GREAT ADVOCATE

Mr. Clarence Darrow is taking off his powdered wig for good. To the legal profession he has long been known as one of the most astute and fearless criminal lawyers. To the morbid public he is known as the counsel for Leopold and Loeb. Needless to say, his intention of retiring to a life of leisure and literary pursuits causes a sharp reaction of one sort or another in all quarters.

Despite the thunderheads of feeling which have enveloped him during his remarkable career, the dispassionate observer has seen him as a just man and an individualist who has had the courage to follow his firm convictions. Like the misunderstood and, therefore, the much reviled Trimmers of the 17th Century, he has often championed the weaker and discredited side. His services have often gone to the poor and the unfortunate, while he has not infrequently bettered the example of Abraham Lincoln by actually pleading the cause of a guilty man in order that the law, intimidated by the howls of the public mob, might not suffer a miscarriage of justice. Whatever one may think about Mr. Darrow personally, one can not help but admire this great attorney for his courage, his consistency, and his independent career.