"This Awful Vagueness"

THE MAIL--

The Harvard Crimson assumes no responsibility for the sentiments expressed by correspondents, and reserves the right to exclude any communication whose publication may for any reason seem undesirable. Except by special arrangement, communications cannot be published anonymously.

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

At the height of the zero hour which separates the taking of "divisionals" from the announcement of the results the harassed senior wonders what has become of the relentless efficiency that has long characterized our college office.

Nothing could be more vague and haphazard than the arrangements for announcing the results of the general examinations. Perhaps the system is quite perfect, and our vague knowledge of it is due to a conscious effort of the reigning powers to disconcert the student forces by a sort of "secret practice" strategy. Still, such strategy can scarcely be appreciated by men who are anxious to proceed in planning for graduation and the work to follow.

We prefer to attribute this awful vagueness to inefficiency rather than malice aforethought. The tutors are apparently quite as much in the dark as the seniors, and quite as much harrassed. Some say "Saturday", some "Monday", and some frankly say, "God knows when".

What is to prevent the General Examination Board from publishing in the CRIMSON the officials (and actual) date of announcing the grades, with all additional interesting data that might be safely given to the students without, betraying the "Harvard System"? This would at least permit the Seniors to arrange their plans with some degree of definiteness and avoid the demoralizing anxiety which the present day to day uncertainty produces. DONALD BOURNN '26.