RADICALLY ALTERED LINEUP FACES BROWN

Hammond, Howard, Tobin and Todd Out of Game--Providence Team Is One of Strongest on Schedule

With a radically altered line-up, the University will face Brown here this afternoon at 4 o'clock on Soldiers Field in the first of the annual two-game series. Injuries and examinations will be responsible for the absence of four regulars from the Crimson nine when it takes the field today. Hammond will not see action for over a week, on account of his injured leg, while Howard is not expected to play for the same length of time. He had not returned from Princeton yesterday but was expected to be back today. Todd and Tobin will be busy with final examinations this afternoon. Knowlton and Slayton, who would otherwise be likely to see action against the Providence outfit, are also prevented by examinations from reporting.

Shakeup In Infield

Coach Mahan is thus faced with the necessity of rearranging his line-up considerably. Zarakov will again start at the short stop position where he starred on Saturday, and he will lead off against Captain Trumbower of the Brown team. Ellison will fill Tobin's berth at first, with Coady being used in left field. Dacey, who has been playing with the Second nine to date, has been brought up to take charge of Zarakov's third base position. Ullman will again take care of the keystone sack in Captain Hammond's absence.

Herrmann is the Crimson hurler who will match his skill with that of Captain Trumbower this afternoon. He has started only one game this year, having won that handily from Catholic University last week, allowing the visitors only five hits. He is sure to meet competition of a much sterner sort this afternoon, and he will have a dangerous opponent in the Brown leader who throws and bats left-handed. Trumbower has turned in a better record this year than any of Coach Snell's hurlers, although he is naturally a fielder, conscripted to the pitching string this year by the dearth at Providence of good hurlers.

Brown Has Strong Hitters

With only three more opponents besides Brown to be played before the Yale series, every game will be of importance if the Crimson is to reverse last year's Blue verdict. In Brown this afternoon, the University will face one of the strongest nines on the schedule and one that has cultivated of late a perennial habit of triumphing over Crimson teams. The two football stars, Keefer and Dixon, who will bat third and fourth, will be a pair of troublesome hitters to dispose of, and the whole nine is reputed to be proficient with the bat. The new Harvard line-up will undoubtedly handicap the team in some measure. In spite of the defeat, there were encouraging moments in the Princeton battle last week, and if the faltering pitching staff can be strengthened, a certain amount of optimism seems to be warranted.