THREE CREWS LEAVE FOR HENLEY REGATTA

Canning Goes to Stroke in Second Boat While Hedburg Gets Seat in 150-Pound Shell

Three University crews will leave for Philadelphia tonight where they will represent the Crimson in the American Henley on the Schuylkill Saturday afternoon. In addition to the Second and Third University crews, Captain Merrill's 150-pound eight is entered in the Philadelphia Regatta, in which 47 crews will strive for honors. Coach Stevens will accompany the Second crew to Philadelphia, and leave immediately after the race for Red Top.

All the races in Saturday's regatta will be over the Henley distance of a mile and five-sixteenths. Although Harvard has never entered a first crew in the American Henley, the Second and Third Crimson entrants have been unusually successful in former years. On three occasions, the Second crew entered the race for first eights, and won. Recently Pennsylvania crews, especially trained for short distances, have been winning the events for college eights.

Canning Moved to Stroke

Coach Stevens has made but one shift in the Second crew since its defeat by the Pennsylvania boat on May 9. Canning has been moved from seat two to the stroke position, with Perkins going to number two. Canning acquired considerable experience as stroke of the Second eight during the greater part of last year, and the shift has worked a change for the better according to the head coach.

The Third University eight was picked by Coach Brown on Tuesday from the members of the class crew squad. Although it had been rowing together one day, it raced the Second crew over the Henley distance yesterday afternoon, and succeeded in holding Coach Stevens' eight to a bare quarter boat length victory. The surprising showing of the Third crew has made this eight the most formidable of the Crimson contenders Saturday in the opinion of the coaches.

150-Pound Shell Sees Shift

Coach Spuhn has also made a shift in his 150-pound eight since its victory over Yale on May 16 at Derby. Hedburg has replaced Ogden at seat three for the race Saturday. In a time trial Tuesday, the Crimson 150-pound eight negotiated the Henley distance in seven minutes and five seconds, which is remarkably fast time. Pennsylvania won the Junior University race on May 9 in six minutes and 55 seconds, and the performance of Captain Merrill's eight in coming so close to the fast time of the strong Red and Blue shell makes this crew seem to stand a better chance than had been supposed at first.

While in Philadelphia, the Crimson will be quartered at the Hotel Sylvania. The University of Pennsylvania boathouse will be used for rowing quarters.

The crews will row Saturday as follows:

Second University Crew--Stroke, Canning; 7, Barry; 6, Iselin; 5, Gates; 4, Milde; 3, Righter; 2, Perkins; bow, Krumbhaar; cox., Beer.

Third University Crew--Stroke, Gale; 7, Bancroft; 6, Weymer; 5, Theopold; 4, Huntington; 3, Tilt; 2, Watts; bow, Farnum; cox., Thorndike.

First 150-Pound Crew--Stroke, Merrill; 7, Collins; 6, Potter; 5, Morrill; 4, Jenney; 3, Hedburg; 2, Sturtevant; bow, Jones; cox., Harper.