Crimson Essayist Discusses Future of Tutorial System

"In his development of conversation as an art the American is sadly deficient, and college men of other nationalities, and in particular the English, notice this. It is an element in out training which cannot be lightly overlooked."

"Reduce the number of courses required for graduation by four, and broaden the field of the tutorial system.

"On the personalities of the tutors depends the efficiency of the system, and care in their selection is the administrative function of primary importance."

"Eliminate some of the smaller and less important courses now given, and allow the professors and instructors to give their time to tutoring."

"In a large college a more personal contact is desired between instructor and instructed than exists generally in the course system."

"How many go through their college course without finding a great interest, an ideal to which they can reverently devote their best energies merely because they have gone afield in the choice of their concentration."

"The chief danger from flying unreservedly into the arms of the tutorial system is that the opinions of scholars and authorities may be missed. That the large lecture courses provide for this is the salient credit in our present system."

The above quotations are taken from the essay printed below, which, submitted by James Harry Smith '25, received honorable mention in the Crimson essay contest.