DOWNING THE DEMON

An armada, nothing less, has taken the water against the rum ships now lying off New York harbor. With the balmy days of Spring, when visibility is high and nights are short, fifty guard ships have been mustered, each one of which will shadow a liquor ship and prevent, it possible, any intercourse with the shore. The rum fleet is to be besieged, blockaded on the high seas, until each ship is forced to play other waters in search of food.

All is not well with the blockading squadron, however, in spite of the optimistic reports sent out by its commander Captain W. V. E. Jacobs. Nineteen men of the coast guard service are now in jail because they were empted by bride from the enemy yielded, and were caught. Several other boatloads of men sent out to bring in bootleggers also were tempted, yielded, but to date have not been caught. It is hoped that the well-known spirit of the force will over-come the handicap created by the defection of these weaker brethren, but strict surveillance has been commanded in order to prevent any more desertions.

In spite of these lapses from the narrow path of duty, the morale of the service is high, and all indications point to quick results. Any day may bring the news from Captain Jacobs that until sources and supplies of liquor have been entirely bottled up."