QUACK-QUACK!

Although the attitude of the New York Medical Society on active publicity against quacks expresses merely a local feeling, it typifles, nevertheless, the over-scrupulous ethics of physicians all over the country. Doctors everywhere are content to leave it to other people to expose takes and attack charlatans, because, in the words of Dr. Galdston of the New York Society, "We doctors can advance our scientific knowledge but we have no time to defend science itself. . . . Ours is the aggression against disease, but the citizen's duty is the defense of our purpose."

This unwillingness on the part of physicians to do themselves and their cause common justice in the eyes of the public is a neglect of the obligation owed to humanity by medical men. Unquestionably doctors are better qualified than any one else to preach sound health, yet they are willing to leave the job to unorganized public opinion. When they feel a lack of public support, they complain that they have no time to defend themselves. This is an age of strenuous advertising, in which every cause, no matter how worthwhile, must constantly justify itself before the public or fall measurably in its success. Physicians may have dignified their business of selling health by calling it a profession, but if they are content to let more vociferous healers monopolize public attention, then foolish dignity must not excuse unfulfilled duty.

The doctrine of health can be sold effectively only by constantly advertising the idea to the public. However much physicians may deplore the necessity of thrusting themselves into the lime-light, they cannot rely on common sympathy to champion a business which does not really concern them.