FIRST PRIZE TO MR. HARDY

Come Diogenes! You may now Gillette away that beard you were wearing on a bet, for a man has been found, who, whether honest or not, is at least modest. A congressman has returned from Europe, but yet he does not know all about it, and has no solutions for the problems. Here is a man who is running almost as much risk as Victor Berger, for he is about as far away from the usual congressional character.

The Honorable Guy C. Hardy of Colorado admits that he was traveling in Europe for pleasure, and not to save the souls and industries of the benighted inhabitants. He has no formulae to set right all the wrongs of the Old World. He did not speak of the funny little railroad trains or of the abominable telephone service. He did not believe that more Chambers of Commerce would be the solution of the European problem. More than that, when interviewed, he did not use the term "European problem".

If a few more congressmen traveled in such humble spirit, how much they might learn, or at least how much ignorance they would conceal! Of course, the newspapers would do their best to combat any such tendency toward silence, especially with summer coming on, for it's hard enough to fill thirty-two pages at any time of the year. But if congressmen returning from Europe are successful in quelling their natural tendencies, a great amount of hot air can be stored up for the snowy season, and the clouds of ignorance which hang over this darkened land of Egypt will not be thickened by congressional belchings. In fact, no worthier person than Mr. Hardy could be found to be awarded first prize of Diogenes lantern, for he has not only contributed signally to his country's welfare, but he has set an example that a few congressmen may try to equal but which none can excell.