TOWNLEY TO BE VISITING LECTURER ON ASTRONOMY

GEOLOGIST GOES TO WESTERN COLLEGES IN EXCHANGE

Announcement of two faculty alterations for the coming year was made yesterday by the University. Professor Sidney Dean Townley has been appointed Visiting Lecturer on Astronomy, and Professor William Morris Davis '70 Sturgis-Hooper Professor of Geology, Emeritus, has been appointed Exchange Professor to Western Colleges for the first half-year of 1925-26.

Professor Townley was graduated from the University of Wisconsin and has been professor at Stanford University since 1918. He has also studied at the Universities of California. Berlin, and Munich. From 1903-07 he was in charge of the International Latitude Observations at Ukiah, California.

Professor Townley is the author of about 100 articles in astronomical and seismological journals, and editor of the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. He will serve during the absence of Assistant Professor Harlan T. Stetson.

Professor Davis has been teaching at the University since 1878 and was Sturgis-Hooper Professor of Geology from 1898 to 1912.