NINE TO MEET HOLY CROSS AT WORCESTER

Star of Second Team Infield to Play on University Team--Carroll Will Make Last Appearance Against Big Three

The last appearance in all probability of Spalding before the Yale series and before the final bow of one of the greatest college pitchers of recent years against one of the Big Three, will be seen when the University nine travels to Worcester to oppose Holy Cross on Fitton Field. The game is scheduled to begin at 3 o'clock.

Carroll to Pitch Today

When Owen Carroll ends this afternoon's game, he will have finished one of the most remarkable records ever enjoyed by a single athlete in competition against the Big Three. The Worcester leader has wound up his brilliant record, which includes his famous 1 to 0 loss in the duel with Caldwell two years ago, and the revenge he took in fourteen innings last year, by a brilliant success this year. He figured in two set-backs of the Blue, one of which he won himself when his two strike-outs and a triple gave the Holy Cross nine a 7 to 6 win, he defeated Princeton 4 to 1, and helped to pile up a 14 to 3 score against the Crimson. He will join the Detroit major league team next year with what is probably the greatest record ever taken by a collegian into professional ranks.

Last month it was, that the Worcester team so humbled the Crimson on Soldiers Field, and today's game will serve as some indication of what has happened to the nine since then. In 1920, first baseman Jones of the University clouted a home run which proved the only tally, and ever since that hit, Harvard has been waiting for a victory over the Purple in baseball. In 1922, Carroll almost marred his clean slate when he edged out a win after 15 innings of scintillating baseball, and again two years ago, he took two one-run decisions from Young, the University hurler.

Crimson Chances Are Slim

To expect this long spell of defeat to be ended this afternoon is, it must be admitted, to expect the highly improbable. Holy Cross is conceded all the odds for today's game and it will be little short of a miracle that will reverse the dope. Since its previous win over the Crimson, the Worcester nine has been keeping up its consistent pace getting the edge in its series with Boston College by taking the first two games.

Coach Mahan has announced another shift in the Crimson line-up, less than two weeks before the Yale series. The new arrangement, which will go into effect this afternoon, will see Zarakov restored to his old place at the hot corner, with Keene, late of the Seconds, filling Howard's place at shortstop. This change is looked upon by Crimson baseball followers as indicating not so much that Zarakov is appreciably better at third than he is at short as that there is no one else on the squad capable of holding down the seek adequately.

Having had a rest since his last appearance on the mound against Brown last Saturday, Spalding will be Coach Mahan's choice for the pitching assignment. At this time, it seems that he will again start the second Yale game here, and if so, this is likely to be his last start before he appears against the Blue.