BROCKTON AND LAWRENCE WIN IN SCHOOLBOY MEET

Brockton Victorious in Class A--Lawrence Wins Class B--Three Records Broken

Brockton High and Lawrence High schools won the two classes of the fifth annual outdoor championship track and field meeting of the Massachusetts High School Athletic Association conducted Saturday in the Stadium. None of the Boston high schools competed in the meet because school had been dismissed on account of the heat.

Officials of the University and the contesting schools were both anxious to postpone the meet, but as so many schools had sent representatives from a distance to compete it was decided to run off the events in spite of the fact that the temperature was 99 degrees at 2 o'clock while the meet was in full swing.

Brockton probably would have won the class A championship under any conditions as its team was perhaps the best balanced one in the meet. Beside several stars who won first places there were enough other point winners on the team to make a total of 37 points. The quarter and the shot put were the only events in which Brockton did not score.

Three records were broken in the class A fighting. Walsh of Brockton ran the 220 in 23 seconds, Sundstrom of Brockton ran the 120 yard low hurdles in 14 and four-fifth seconds, and Vinal of Lowell put the shot 43 feet.

Medford High could collect only 21 points and secured second place in the class A competition. Lynn Classical was third and Lowell High, Newton High, Brookline High and Lynn English High followed in the order named.