Business Men Report Record Sales of Soft Drinks and Light Clothing as Parched Undergraduates Seek Relief From Heat

The recent heat wave, however unpleasant it may have been to the average undergraduate, has had a stimulating effect on general business conditions around the Square according to the statements of salesmen and merchants.

The restaurants and the Union reported a record breaking consumption of salads, feed drinks and other hot weather delicacies. Hot roast beef and soup were on the menu but the waiters declared that hardly anyone ordered them. The chief complaint of the waiters was that they were kept too busy filling the glasses of ice water which were emptied almost as fast as they were filled.

As might naturally be expected the soda fountains reported an unprecedented demand for cooling drinks of all sorts, one pharmacy reporting the sale of over 400 glasses of orangeade and 100 malted milks on one of the hottest days lest week. The same store consumed over 500 pounds of ice during one day and the fountain manager estimated that at least five tons of ice were used daily by all the various establishments to cool the parched throats of thirsty students.

Despite the very informal attire which became the rule among undergraduates in an effort to avoid the heat the clothing stores reported a record breaking business selling light flannel trousers and linen knickers. One salesman declared that his organization disposed of its entire stock of knickers in the first two days of blistering heat and had to send in a rush order for 100 more pairs.

"Why", he said, wiping the sweat from his forehead, "one professor came in here today and bought eight pairs of flannel trousers. Yes, it certainly is hot enough for me', but why complain about the weather when it brings such good business?"

Beside seeking relief from the heat in iced drinks and cool clothes many students spent their spare moments between examinations and study swimming. The University pools were continually filled and in Westmorly it was said that the janitor had to spend most of his time keeping unauthorized persons from utilizing the facilities reserved only for students in the dormitory. The Charles was popular despite a slight typhoid scare and the two boat-houses provided, swimming, diving and dressing places for numbers of hot, tired students.