Tut, Tut

THE PRESS--

William Burnet Wright Jr., a Yale graduate of the class of 1892, gave out today a copy of a letter he has written to President Angell of Yale, charging a "conspiracy" on the part of the class of 1895 to violate the Volstead law at this year's commencement teunion, and attacking President Angell's position on the use or liquor at commencement as stated in a letter in The New York Times of May 26. Mr. Wright's letter reads in part:

"That violation of the Eighteenth Amendment during commencement this year, has been deliberately planned, was brought to my attention a few days after reading your Times letter. Seeking help to prevent such lawbreaking at his reunion, the Rev. Clement G. Clarke of Portland, Oregon, a '95 graduate, wrote that he was communicating with you and others. In writing me he quoted an excerpt from a letter written him by the Chairman of his class Reunion Committee, an ex-President of the Yale Club of New York City, as follows:

"'The Committee has considered the matter of liquor at our reunion this Spring at great length. We have finally decided to follow the wishes of the large, large majority of the class, and have some liquor at our class headquarters. The cost of the liquor is not paid for out of the funds subscribed to the reunion expenses, but is taken care of by two or three men entirely outside, so that they are really entertaining their friends at our reunion in New Haven. We plan to control it more than we have in the past, and I do not believe that if you attend the reunion you will see anything objectionable.'

"It is apparent the writer of the quoted letter thought violating the Constitution of his country would be unobjectionable to any member of his class. This action of that class reunion committee, however, planned a deliberate conspiracy (as all familiar with the law know--and ignorance excuses nobody) to violate the fundamental law of our country by Yale graduates at a reunion of their class during a commencement held under the auspices of, and carried on by, the University authorities.

"The letter, openly informing classmates of this conspiracy, was sent out and the portion I have quoted regarding the conspiracy brought to your attention several weeks prior to your reply in The Times of May 26 to Mr. Martin. Yet by that reply all who will join in such a conspiracy are advised that the university will do nothing to stop their lawbreaking, when you say: 'The reunion classes hold their own dinners and conduct them as seems to them best.' Such deliberate lawbreakers are even welcomed back to Yale by the last paragraph of your letter, which reads: 'With this assurance that Mr. Martin will be quite able to conduct himself in any way that seems to him good and with the knowledge that the control of his class dinner is entirely in the hands of his classmates, we shall all hope to see him here at, commencement where he will be most welcome.'

"The time has come, in my judguient, for the great majority of Yale men, loyal, law-abiding, and God-fearing,' to be recognized. No longer should the feelings of those who flout the law and the Constitution be considered. In behalf of that great body of alumni who believe in God, their country, and in Yale. I appeal to you, as President, to see that action is taken immediately to advise the graduate body that no returning alumnus unwilling to respect the Constitution of his country, will be made welcome by the university authorities: and that they will take positive and effective action to see the law is observed." News Article, New York Times.