NEW COOPERATIVE BUILDING BOASTS MANY IMPROVEMENTS

Men's Clothing Department Enlarged--Hardware Store Installed

With the opening of College, the Harvard Cooperative Society announces the completion of its new building which has been erected on its former site. The present home of the Cooperative Society embodies many improvements calculated to increase its usefulness. The new building follows the architectural design of the majority of Harvard buildings, the traditional brick and limestone, and provides facilities for future expansion when needed.

New Structure Deeper

The new structure has the same width as the old, but its depth is more than doubled as it extends as far back as Palmer Street. An impression of greater width is created by a large vestibule 25 feet deep, faced with bronze and flanked by large show windows. Throughout the store, the problem of display has been given increased attention. On both sides of the interior display cases extend from the front of the store to the rear.

Second Hand Book Store Moved

The increased facilities have permitted considerable additions to the merchandise. The men's clothing department is now five times as large as formerly, and a complete hardware and paint store is to be found in the basement, where the second hand book department is also situated. The second hand book store, formerly maintained on Mt. Auburn Street, has now been discontinued.

Ground Plan More Efficient

The design of the ground floor has been improved by the removal of the staircases which in the old building occupied a large amount of floor space. Also the show cases in the centre of the floor have been lowered in order to provide a full view of the store, from all points. Two staircases lead to the basement, one just inside the door. A beautifully appointed English book room provides for the display of fine books.

The wreckers began work on the former Co-operative building early last spring, although parts of the old edifice were in use until the end of the college year, the new building gradually taking the place of the old. Members of the University, graduates as well as undergraduates, are intimately connected with the Board of Directors of the Society.