WHAT PRICE ART?

The strange phenomenon of marines in trenches speaking the language of the drawing room will astonish Boston Monday evening when "What Price Glory?", stripped of every line of profanity, opens in the Wilbur Theatre. The purification of this most famous of war plays is the work of Mayor Curley, whose previous adventures in guarding Boston ears from the perils of birth control, radicalism, and Dramatic Club productions have already made him known to fame.

Mayor Curley has become adept in this sort of thing. An official ukase--and the deed was done! It was quite simple. Probably few men in the whole world could have done it so quickly and so easily.

Of course there is J. Frank Chase of the Watch and Ward Society who can keep anyone in Boston from reading almost any book he pleases, but even Mr. Chase does not operate with the facility and dispatch of Mayor Curley. Mr. Chase has to consult the book sellers, and employ, presumably, a modicum of tact and diplomacy. The mayor need not even be polite. And while Mr. Chase's is the empire of books. Mr. Curley's is power unlimited in theatres, lecture platforms, public meetings, street parades, and almost anything else one could mention.

Mayor Curley's action will doubtless be warmly applauded by old ladies of both sexes, and artists will learn thereby the price they must pay to exhibit to the Boston public.