COPELAND WILL CONDUCT NEW EXTENSION COURSE

TOTAL OF 28 COURSES BOOKED BY EXTENSION DEAN

Professor C. T. Copeland '82, now Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, for the first time has joined the roll of the teaching staff of University Extension, and this year will give his lectures, readings, and conferences on "Nineteenth Century English Literature."

This course surveys the writers and movements of English literature during the first three-quarters of the century. The great figures in the Romantic and Victorian Periods will be presented in personal and literary relationships; political and social backgrounds will be correlated with the great developments of poetry, the novel, and the essay.

Dr. A. P. Usher '04, Associate Professor of Economics at the University, another new-comer to the Department of University Extension, will give a course on the "Commercial and Industrial History of the United States", with primary emphasis on the period since 1840. In the same department Matrin Shugrue, associate professor of Economics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and tutor in Economics at the University, will give for the first time a course on "Money and Banking".

A total of 28 courses of college grade will be given in the late afternons and evenings during the year by the Commission, of which Professor A. F. Whittem '02, Dean in charge of University Extension, continues as Chairman. Most of the courses are supported from the endowment of the Lowell Institute, and for those running through the entire year the fee is $5.00. For those lasting half a year the fee is 2.50. A few courses, not on that foundation supported by the endowment may require a larger registration fee.

Special provision for a course on "The American Colonies and the Revolution, 1607-1783", is made by the Old South Association in Boston, Mary Hemenway Foundation. This new course will be given by Dr. R. V. Harlow, assistant Professor of History in Boston University, at the Old South Meeting House.

Dr. John Dickinson, lecturer in Government at Harvard, will aim to present a general picture of current world politics against a background of the recent past, in a course on "International Relations". Emphasis will be placed on the relation of the United States to international questions, and attention will be given to the World Court and the League of Nations.

Other courses will include languages, literature, botany, geology, astronomy, music, psychology, etc.