NEWSBOYS' SCHOLARSHIP IS BESTOWED UPON COLPAK

Winner Earned Way in Boston Latin--Averaged 80 Percent in Exams

Irving Colpak of Dorchester, a graduate of the Boston Latin School entering the University this fall as a Freshman, has been awarded the annual Boston Newsboys' Scholarship founded in 1906 by the Boston Newsboys' Protective Union. This scholarship, covering the cost of a year's tuition, is "to be awarded, for the student's first year only, to that one of the newsboys eligible to compete who passes the Harvard admission examinations with the highest percentage.

Colpok ranked well up in the first quarter of his class throughout his course, although during all this time he was self-supporting, and his marks on the Harvard admission examinations averaged 80 per cent. For a number of years he has delivered papers in the Franklin Field section of Dorchester, as his two brothers did before him.

In commenting on his wage-earning to Mr. E. E. Keevin, director of the Roosevelt Newsboys' Association, who strongly endorsed the candidacy of the Dorchester boy, the latter wrote as follows:

"The route, which numbers about 400 Sunday and 200 morning papers, has been handed down like the 'Old Toothbrush' from brother to brother during the last 12 years until at length it has come into my hands. At times I found it difficult to do my home lessons until 10 o'clock at night and then rise at 5 in the morning to push through snow covered streets in the cold and darkness, but on the whole I have found by experience, delivering newspapers, highly beneficial to me morally, physically and financially."